Use your talents to make an impact! Apply today to join our seasonal staff team!

Our History

The Shack, a ministry of Grace Adventures, is a Christian retreat and conference center. We desire to help create experiences that will last for generations. As the newest branch of our ministry, The Shack is providing guests with the opportunity to focus on building relationships and enjoy intentional time together.

1920's

In the early 1920’s, George Graves purchased the property and built a small log cabin which burned down about 1928.

He then built a larger one which he called “The Shack”. He was a large furniture manufacturer and dealer and used The Shack to entertain guests and business clients.

1976

The Marv Deur family purchased The Shack in 1976.

At that time it had six sleeping rooms and a small dining room.  They started taking in guests in 1978 and treated them to a Banana Split each night and breakfast in the morning.

1989

The Deurs added a large dining room, twenty more sleeping rooms, and two conference rooms.

1992

They remodeled the original part of the lodge.

fremont-newaygo-Michigan-hotel-bed-breakfast-6

2023

Marv Deur and his late wife Janette have provided a quiet and relaxing getaway for their guests for 45 years and have continued to add more beautiful buildings, growing into a large, 141 acre lakeside log lodge.  As Marv looked towards retirement, he was praying about the legacy of The Shack.  He desired that it would continue to be a ministry to adults and couples, and a place where God’s love is evident in how guests were served. 

As he looked at ministries he felt would continue that legacy, Marv was looking for an organization with a solid Board of Directors, a proven track record of ministry, and a clear vision for the future. After much thought and prayer, he determined that Grace Adventures best fit his vision for The Shack. We are blessed and humbled that Marv has entrusted this ministry to us.  As Marv stated, “The Shack is not changing ownership, it’s changing stewardship.  It has always been the Lord’s.”